Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Infections

Venerating the column
 It's Holy Wednesday and the traditional veneration of the Column of the Flagellation took place this morning at the Holy Sepulchre. It's a piece of purple column that commemorates Jesus being tied to it while being flagellated by the Roman soldiers. Half of the column is today in Malta and the other half is here in the Holy Sepulchre.

At the same time there was solemn Mass at the basilica in Gethsemani ... the last lenten pilgrimage Mass before the Triduum. But with the covid virus spreading rapidly in the country, I'm avoiding crowds at all cost. In my house we now have 3 active cases, and one just out of quarantine. He was probably the cause of all the other infections as he never kept full quarantine but wandered about the corridor. The guy who brought him food was the next to be infected. It's terrible. I'm spending all day at my office in the library 1km away so I can avoid coming into contact with the community. Who knows who else is infected. I only go home to sleep.

Jewish Passover will coincide with our Good Friday so our streets will be packed with worshippers going to their respective places of worship. Police presence has heightened significantly .... also because of the recent attacks around the country. Security first. And for me, health security too. I'll have to see how to resolve the problem with the liturgies during the Triduum.