Yesterday a potential violent clash was averted thanks to the resolute police action. Extremist jews had hurriedly organised a nationalist march through the Muslim Quarter. But the police blocked the road down towards the eastern side of the City where the Gate is found. Despite some scuffles, the march was rerouted to Jaffa Gate at the other end of the City. A major clash was averted. Thank goodness, We were all very apprehensive ... those of us living in the Muslim Quarter. Still a small group managed to through and marched through the Suq (market) with flags. Arabs threw stones and soldiers accompanied them to the Wailing Wall. This morning there were still some clashes in the Al Aqsa compound as jewish groups entered it under police guard. It was relatively less violent than the previous nights.
![]() |
| Patriarch with our sisters |
Today is also the birthday of our patriarch. Being my classmate 30 years back, I sent him wishes in a message. Surprisingly he answered ... busy as he always is. We chatted a bit and I was very happy. Suffice to say that he is younger than I am. And he's patriarch archbishop while I still throw garbage out of the house. But I enjoy more freedom than he does. That's something he'll never have.
The weather has warmed quite much ... almost 28 degrees in the afternoons everyday. But the evenings are still chilling ... around 14 degrees. Last night was chilly enough for me to turn on the heater. I'm hoping this will pass. I am tired of the cold.
