Monday, January 11, 2021

Warming up

Our oranges
 There was a major clash in the southern coastal city of Ashdod today when police tried to close down a jewish religious school that defied the rule to close. There were running battles and I don't think the police stood a chance as they fear the religious, social and political power of this ultra-orthodox group. The ultra-orthodox community may be a minority group in Israel but they wield disproportionately immense influence. We can see the lockdown will never succeed totally because of this defiant group which makes up about 16% of the population.   https://www.ynetnews.com/article/SkfSY3KCv#autoplay

Infection rates have fallen to 5000+ but serious cases requiring hospitalisation rose. I think it's because of the British and S. African mutant strains that are very deadly. I'm going into isolation because a student who's positive came to the library twice last week to borrow books. Though I always had my mask on and served the library users with a plastic barrier between us (required by State law), I still feel uncomfortable about being so close to an infected person. So far I don't have a fever and I still can smell and taste.

The weather has turned warm now ... about 19 degrees during the day. Spring flowers have started blooming even though officially it's still winter. I can't make out what's happening to the weather. No sign of rain let alone snow. I've had to water the plants twice already because it's too dry. Many bulbs have wilted. They usually have the rain and cold to help them grow. Anyway forecasters say it'll get windy and might even rain from Thursday onwards. I hope so. Itll clean the air so it would be so dusty and my asthma can stop.