Saturday, January 9, 2021

Empty streets

Empty street
 The lockdown is in its 2nd day. Our street below and the alleys around us are quite empty. But out at the main street especially at the junction of Austrian Hospice and the 3rd Station, groups of teens are hanging around enjoying the sun, joking, not wearing masks ... and Israeli soldiers are standing in the opposite corner ... not telling them to wear masks or keep distance. And how do I know? I went out too! This evening I had to go to M. Teresa's convent for confessions. The police never stopped me ... which I am grateful. And the sisters fried 2 eggs and made a pita sandwich for me for dinner ... which was nice because then I also have an excuse for going out. I went out for food, which is true.

While the vaccination is generally successful in the jewish side of the country, the arab side is just the opposite ... due to conspiracy theories and unfounded fears. It's unfortunate because the arab communities have a very high rate of infections and an unknown number of deaths. When their population is decimated and they lose one generation, then it'll be too late to regret. 

Meantime while the british mutation is raging around us, today we read in the newspapers that the S. African mutation has been discovered here in Israel as well. This is terrifying.

Lone walker
My asthma last night was awful. I was awake and coughing and wheezing from midnight till about noon. The air pollution is unbearable. If only it would rain and clean the air. It's been a very dry winter so far to date. The plantar fasciitis is much better today ... less painful. Maybe it's because I spent most of my time sitting and not putting weight on the foot. 

Tomorrow is the feast of the Baptism of Christ, officially the last day of Christmas. I'll spend the morning storing my Christmas decorations. Who knows what'll happen to Christmas 2021 ... hopefully it'll be better than 2020.