Friday, May 29, 2020

Weekend

Crowds out in the night
There was another terrorist attack just now. A truck tried to ram a group of soldiers. Tensions are high. I'm not sure how these tensions can be lowered ... but I sure hope someone is doing something about it. Today is the jewish pentecost "shavuot" ... the harvest of the wheat. Usually there's no trouble in our area but this morning a huge group of jewish youths marched up our street chanting and provoking. Soldiers were everywhere and there were scuffles further down the street at St. Anne's church.

Just as the lockdown has practically been rolled back, schools are suddenly shutting down again. Infections have been tested in staff or students and whole groups have been quarantined and schools closed. This morning we read that there was a sharp spike of infections detected. And S. Korea is going the same way. Anyway it's complacency and disregard that's causing the spike ... asymptomatic  cases fool everyone and gives a false sense of security.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-52845015?at_custom1=%5Bpost+type%5D&at_custom4=0EBD35B4-A199-11EA-8558-A8EE923C408C&at_custom2=facebook_page&at_campaign=64&at_custom3=BBC+News&at_medium=custom7&fbclid=IwAR2-zbCvWDhVRJd_LrwanC6NnZKvnC8rNKHFBBXS6FdPzKLK0vTxg35tlMw
and
https://www.timesofisrael.com/health-ministry-set-to-convene-amid-sudden-spike-in-virus-cases/?fbclid=IwAR0rdEEtcv9sJZbF3sLHN2W0p-rpfGckTke0QBYvgS6yYgf7HLzxQASSvgg

Quiet Old City alley
One piece of good news ... the wold otters in the northern streams and rivers thought to be extinct are back. I guess all the heavy rains last winter has brought them back from the highland springs. Yes the weather has become very mild and chilly and many birds are back and the plants are growing and blossoming again. It's a good feeling to see all this life around. The streets in the New City are busy again with traffic and people. But in the Old City everything remains quiet and isolated. Maybe the quiet in the Old City area near my work is keeping my asthma and bp under control today.

Work goes on and though I try not to go out, I must scan lots of books students require to consult as it's time for final exams. I can't put the students in difficulty so I'm very busy with work. Hope they'll do well and move on to their ministries by summer.