Saturday, May 30, 2020

Upset

Road blocked
At 6.19am this morning I heard 2 gunshots from the street below. I was a bad feeling. Another terrorist attack? Within minutes police sirens were screaming through our narrow street. Later at 7am I went out to throw the garbage and found in front of our door a group of arabs unable to walk down the road to Lions Gate. The police had blocked it off. From the news I realised what happened. The police had shot dead a mentally challenged man, thinking he carried a weapon. The man was going to the special school near our house. He didn't understand the police warning and ran. It is such a tragedy. Very upsetting. An innocent handicapped man shot dead for nothing. Now we're expecting riots or clashes tonight and tomorrow when the Al Aqsa Mosque is reopened. It is just so terrible.   https://www.timesofisrael.com/police-shoot-dead-unarmed-east-jerusalem-man-they-say-carried-suspicious-object/

Well Pentecost is tomorrow and it's the last of the series of feast days stretching the past 2 weeks ... muslim, christian and jewish ... one following the other. The summer routine should start ... no feast days ... just normal ritual time under the hot summer sun.

I've been busy all morning catching up with work in the other library. And I had to deliver mail to the Ecole Biblique which was wrongly sent to us. It was a good 1.4km walk in all ... good exercise to lower my bp and sugar level. Still I'm wearing the mask as asymptomic super carriers of the virus are everywhere ... undetected. I can't take any chances.

This afternoon I'm practicing my armenian for tomorrow's Mass. It's Pentecost so it'll be solemn. I even have an acolyte to help. I guess I'll use incense as well. Let's hope for the best.