Saturday, April 4, 2020

Birthday lockdown

Almost empty street
The Sabbath has started and we're hours away from Holy Week. But this year in Jerusalem where everything we celebrate actually happened, the celebrations will be very different because of the pandemic. Only 10 celbrants are allowed for any of the liturgies ... and everyone will have to be satisfied with either watching a live telecast or praying the Divine Office as a substitute. I'm presiding over the Holy Week celebrations but I really hope someone else can substitute me. I've been warned a 2nd time today that as a severe asthmatic, diabetic and generally sick person, it's dangerous for me to be in a crowd .. the crowd being my community. I'll see what I can do.

I had to go to the pharmacy to buy my medicine this morning. That mean wearing a mask as it's now mandatory. Everyone else in the street  was wearing one. Some grocery shops were opened but they left their doors only half opened. A very crowded shop was the bakery. I got 4 pieces of bread as the pharmacy was directly opposite it. At the pharmacist there was a red tape blocking parts from going beyond half a meter from the pharmacist. I had to practically throw my money on the counter as I couldn't reach it with this barrier. 4 police were standing at the corner watching everyone go by. It was a very quick outing for me ... but I got to see the streets after 1 week in my room. It was surreal. Even during the Intifada and wars, it was never like this.

So it's my birthday today ... but i this lockdown there was no celebration. But thanks to the many well wishes sent by social media. It's another day to give thanks. Nothing more.