Wednesday, January 22, 2020

VIP visits

Sleet and ice all evening
It rained sleet and ice yesterday night. Not a very nice or safe way to walk home when the stone pavements are very slippery. And the temp hovered only around 4 degrees. Even low-lying, humid Tel Aviv was covered in sleet and ice. Now that's how cold it is.

However by evening the sleet and drizzle stopped and things seemed back to normal. However the night was awfully freezing. I was just thinking when was the last time we had this type of winter. About 30 yrs ago I guess. 2 small heaters and a down blanket aren't enough. I was shivering despite wearing a woollen pullover. I had to go drink something hot in the refectory to keep myself warm.

Despite the weather issues, our street was closed because the French president was next door. Then the Romanian president came to visit our chapels. The VIP visits will continue for 2 more days as they come for the Holocaust Forum. The Spanish king will definitely visit the Holy Sepulchre as he's the protector of the Holy Land for the Catholic Church. The road closures throughout the City is causing a lot of disruptions. Luckily schools have been closed and workers have the option of taking a holiday. I wonder if our school will be closed tomorrow.