Sunday, January 26, 2020

Face masks sold out

Souvenirs in chinese
It's the 2nd day of the Lunar New Year and the sun is shining and the sky is clear. But it is still freezing cold. Wearing scarves and hats and thick clothing seems right for the New Year season. Mind you the New Year came rather early and Nature is not quite ready for Spring. For one thing the almond trees have not flowered ... a sure sign that Spring is not yet coming.

Despite the ban from China for traveling brought, many chinese groups are still here in Israel. I hear form chinese travel agents that many are trying to get out by using tourism as an excuse. I was told this morning that 300,000 Wuhanese had left the city before the ban was placed and now we have no idea where they are. However many groups coming to Israel this week have been cancelled due to the ban. That's wise. Israel has 3 suspected cases of the flu, I read this morning in the newspapers. Now I just received news that Israel has issued a warning ban for travelers to China. This is very worrisome ... as the spread of this virus is very quick. Still from the wave of new religious souvenirs written in chinese, local shopkeepers are confident the chinese tourists will continue to come no matter what. The tourists might probably stop by a third country that is more relaxed in its health control.

All face masks have been sold out here in the Old City. Chinese tourists have bought them all out. Other groups are calling me to search out pharmacies outside the City if there is still stock. Some pharms tell me they're getting stock from other cities.

So much for the 2nd day of the New Year. I'll stay home as much as I can from now onwards. Better safe than sorry.