Thursday, April 25, 2019

Easter Week

Hailstones in our
backyard
It's Easter week and unbelievably it's already Thursday and I haven't had time to update my blog. Emmaus Monday was no holiday for me while the rest of the local Church was. They had gone to Emmaus-Qubeibeh for solemn Mass with the Custos and the blessing of bread. I on the other hand had to work because the workers had come to install a new elevator in the library. Then when they left at 3pm I had to rush to 3 meetings ... which turned out to be only 2 because another meeting was due on Tuesday but I confused the dates. Anyway everyone ... and everyone agreed that Easter Monday was the coldest day ever in this decade even though meteorological stations say it was 6 degrees. It definitely felt below zero degrees. It rained hailstones twice and in the north of the country, snow fell again. It's the first time in over 20 years snow has fallen in April.

And it was also the morning in which the jewish priests came to bless the jewish people. They do it twice a year ... on the 3rd day of Passover and Sukkoth. The western half of the City was locked down. No traffic passed. Security helicopters flew overhead. Police were everywhere in the Old City. Some 10,000 people attended the blessing.

Capuchin superior celebrating his
anniversary
On Easter Tuesday it was another day of work and meetings. My left ankle is little swollen and it hurts to walk but there was work to do. In the evening I was invited for dinner at the Capuchin house as the superior was celebrating his 20th anniversary of ordination. A nice group of religious friends were invited ... mainly tamils from the salesians and other sisters' congregations. It was a nice simple dinner and we learned more about him as he shared his life story with us. 

Bombscare at Light Rail station
Easter Wednesday was tense. The light rail station at Damascus Gate was locked down.  So was the carpark adjacent to it. A bomb squad arrived. Crowds were moved far away and passengers were evacuated. It reminded me of the 2 Intifadas and the bombs. Awful. More police presence in and around the Old City, more top-and-search in the streets. I felt very uncomfortable. I had to work as usual so I had to walk up and down the City for work. Felt so exhausted as there were datelines to be met. Every night I just look forward to sleep.

Today we read of riots in the jewish ultra-orthodox neighbourhood. They were protesting against mandatory military service and attacked an Israeli soldier (whom they view as traitors) and hurled stones at police, almost injuring a baby nearby. This morning one ultra-orthodox man was arrested. The implosion is more dangerous to the country than an external enemy. We've seen all this 2000 years when the Romans invaded Jerusalem because the jews were fighting among themselves.
and