 |
| Desert express |
Another adventure up in the north today ... to Nazareth, Cana, Mt. Carmel and Jaffa. It's a 12 hour tour covering over 500 kms. The tourist crowd was dwindling ... it's autumn and the jewish feasts are currently being celebrated, meaning hotels will be very expensive and fully booked by jewish visitors. That means christians don't come to compete for rooms and services. The prices can be exorbitant.
Yesterday was a visit to the Sea of Galilee area; covering Capahrnaum, Primacy of Peter Church, 5 Loaves and 2 Fish church, Mt. of Beatitudes and the baptismal site at the Rover Jordan. When we got back to Jerusalem it was already 6pm and I was dead tired. Fell asleep immediately when I got home ... no dinner.
 |
| Cheeky birds |
The weather has been incredibly cool though and excellent for touring. Even a brief stop by the Judean desert was pleasant ... the valley of Wadi Qelt and the desert monastery of St. George Kosiba. In the early morning the wild birds were fearless and cheeky, luring us along the narrow ledge to go further into the cliff. They are brilliantly coloured birds with long beaks ... like honeysuckers but too big and there are no flowers in the desert. I wonder what type of birds they are. Will have to do some homework.
Arriving home at Damascus Gate at 7pm we encounter a lot of military police in balaclavas and horses as well. They're expecting trouble from the arabs I guess. Well I was;y going to get caught in the middle of a scuffle that includes live bullets ... so I walked home through the eastern Herod's gate. I hope tonight and tomorrow will not be disrupted with violence. We don't need that.