Sunday, September 16, 2018

Sunday at the sanctuaries

Silent streets on
Sabbath
It's Sunday ... which meant I woke up at 3am to prepare my breakfast. It's thawing out the frozen goodies from Singapore and then steaming them hot. It takes 3 to 4 hours but I managed to get it done and had my breakfast at 6am. Mass was at 4.30am so everything was on schedule. Then it was tidying up my room and doing the important chores before going to the Holy Sepulcher to guide the MC sisters. We had the privilege of going up to the gallery of the basilica and we saw the various liturgies celebrated below at the Empty Tomb. It was amazing.

In the afternoon we visited Mt. Zion ... which includes the Last Supper Room, the Dormition Abbey and the franciscan Cenacolino. We read the Scriptures and prayed at all the places. The sisters loved it ... some had come from Yemen and Syria ... from the war. It was a good break for them. They can sleep these few nights without the sound of bombings and sirens.

Sisters at the Cenacolino
I am very tired though ... as I have to arrange the visits and bring them around. It's been something I had not done for several years now since my operation. Am simply too weak to do this demanding job anymore. But the sisters have risked their lives serving in those war regions ... it's the last I can do for them. The sanctuaries have become a source of strength for them.

This morning we received news that the Russian Orthodox Patriarch cut off ties with the Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople. This has big ramifications for Israel as the 2 churches play very important roles in the Holy Land. We'll see what results from this.   https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-45529355#

There was violence at the Gaza border on Friday. There were deaths and injuries. Dreadful things that continue at the border and no ending of the tensions. Hope it won't influence the coming days when Yom Kippur is celebrated. The last thing we want is blocks and closures.