Saturday, September 29, 2018

Stromata

Sunrise over East Jerusalem
Yesterday saw violence at the Gaza border as tensions grow in the Strip. 4 killed including, as reported, 2 teenagers. I guess as the last and most important day of Sukkot approaches (tonight) - the last day of the 8 day feast - all the borders with Palestine and Jordan will be closed. Hopefully no trouble will boil over the borders.

Winter is upon us as the sun rises only after 5.30am and the nights are colder .... 18 degrees or below. Daytime is still hot but the days are getting shorter. Tomorrow on the last day of Sukkot, back 200 years when there was a Temple, the jewish priests would offer the water libation and prayed for rain. That's the beginning of the rainy season. Well we certainly hope it'll rain hard this winter. The rain and cold usually sees a stop to clashes and violence. The weather plays an important role even in war.
Dead climber
Despite the violence in the south, life in Jerusalem goes on as usual ... or as much as it can under the circumstances. I'll need to rest for a few days after the month long retreat / conference for the MC sisters. But I've run out of medicine so I'll have to go to a pharmacy in East Jerusalem to buy it. I'll also have to buy food for Buddy and Chilli ... the 2 boys eat alot now that they're grown. Buddy is 3 yrs old now and Chilli is almost 2 yrs. However Chilli is still chewing everything he can fly to ... unlike Buddy who's stopped his chewing phase. Anyway I'll have to do these chores quickly before the shops close. And I really do intend to sleep and rest after the intense month long talks. Soon I'll be due for my 2nd operation this summer and I need to be strong for a quick recovery.
2 weeks ago while workers were removing several low separation walls from out corridor in the courtyard, they destroyed the roots of 2 ancient climbers. These 2 plants have been there since as long as I can remember. Their old gnarled trunks twist and turn all the way up to the arches of the 1st floor and the green leaves provide nesting for lots of birds. Now they're dead and yesterday the workers came to remove them. Sad ... another piece of history gone.