Wednesday, November 22, 2017

More rain

Rain in Jerusalem today
Yesterday's drizzle turned into rain this morning ... relatively heavy at times. I say "relatively" because for you guys in the tropics, it's just a heavy drizzle ... but for us with only 2 days of rain a year, it's "heavy". The ground is wet and slippery but it's no longer parched, dry and cracked. School is open as usual ... meaning the rain isn't as heavy as warranting closure. And it doesn't feel very cold although it's only 12 degrees now. The sun is shining now as the rain clouds disperse. But we hope it'll continue to at least drizzle for the rest of the day as we really need the rain. I realised that this rain is blown in from Greece that had caused havoc and flooding in many cities. Well it's lost most of its force by now. In fact there is no news about the rain in local newspapers here ... which means it has no impact.

Meantime the bulbs are enjoying this wet cold spell. Most have sprouted green shoots in the last 48 hours. We can expect beautiful flowers in Spring. It will be nice if Christmas will be cold. It suits the atmosphere.

My new hair trimmer
Yesterday I went off in the drizzle to buy something I really needed and had been saving up for : a hair trimmer. I cut my own hair and my old electric trimmer was already over 10 years and quite broken. The trimming attachments were broken, as also the catch on the razor, so it gives a crooked edge. I had to cut my hair several times over so I don't end up with hair one side long and the other short. Laughable. But yesterday I saved enough money to buy one from the local Electrical Appliance shop. It has a one year guarantee. I also managed to buy a cheap radiator (made in China) for 60 shekels. That should keep my room warm the next few days.

And the usual ultra-orthodox jewish demonstrations and violence continue; and the tensions in our northern border as well. Let's see what'll develope once the rains stop.