Monday, November 20, 2017

Getting colder

Christmas decora-
tions on sale
It's Monday ... another dreaded day which begins at 3am. I hope I don't have to finish at 10pm tonight. I'm feeling very tired and weak today. The weather change is upsetting many people's health ... including mine. It's very cloudy yet it's hot and humid outdoors. Indoors it feels like freezing. I'm feeling sick but it's not the flu as my inoculation is very effective ... fingers crossed.

Yesterday I spent the whole day from 6am cleaning up my room. Re-arranged furniture, moved the plants to other places, removed unread books into boxes. It's only half done ... I still have next weekend to finish the job ... before Advent begins. I want the new liturgical season to be new in every sense.

More fun stuff
In the afternoon, a friend asked me out for a cup of coffee. I've known him some 6 years now and he just got married a couple of months ago. Anyway he wanted to know more about books especially on pilgrimages as he's doing a write-up. We had a nice chat and we went to a nearby bookshop to get one book that I particularly recommended. I'm sure he'll find it useful. On the way back I passed by a christian shop ... we're in East Jerusalem outside the Old City which is predominantly muslim; so to find a christian shop is quite a surprise. The family that runs the shop is Greek Orthodox. I bought some gifts for the chinese religious who'll be meeting up in a couple of weeks' time.

We're bracing for the cold spell that will hit us in a couple of days. Tomorrow's forecast is rain and then the temp will drop to 12 degrees or less. Right now it's 18 degrees. The lowest temp forecast for Thursday is 7 degrees. I really must get another heater as the cold last night kept me awake.

Tensions are rising on our northern border with Syria as for the 2nd time in as many days, Israeli Defense Forces fired at Syrian Forces that breached the cease-fire line on the Golan Heights. It's not good news.  https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/1.823709

And today 2000 plus ultra-orthodox jews blocked the main artery of Tel Aviv. More violence as they protest compulsory drafting to military service. I guess the rain tomorrow and the cold will stop them ... as the police and govt are unable to.  https://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-5045519,00.html