Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Night marathon

Jaffa Street junction closed off
for the marathon
After 2 policemen were stabbed yesterday morning at Herod's Gate, the police force took ruthless action: collection punishment on East Jerusalemites. Shops were told to close, those who resisted were arbitrarily fined for this or that reason, others threatened that their licenses will not be renewed. The main road in East Jerusalem was also closed off so traffic had to make a long detour. It was revenge on a huge and unprecedented scale (using the words of newspapers).  http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium-1.742979  and  http://www.jerusalemonline.com/news/in-israel/local/in-light-of-jerusalem-terror-attack-main-street-in-east-jerusalem-shut-down-23721

There was another stabbing attempt at the Tomb of the Patriarchs in Hebron this morning. Well the thing is Border Police and other forces should be on the watch for these attacks. Anyone who saw the video on the Damascus Gate attack clearly saw the police busy on their cellphones ... so oblivious that the attacker came to less than a meter from them, brandishing 2 knives and they still remained oblivious. I will say one thing: the cellphone is the major cause of security lapses. If the military powers don't take serious action on this, then more casualties  will occur.  Watch the video again carefully  http://www.timesofisrael.com/israel-shows-jordan-proof-its-national-carried-out-attack/

Traffic closed in front of St. Louis
Hospital
Last night west Jerusalem was also closed ... but for different reasons. It was the night marathon. Police presence was heavy. I guess thousands must have participated. I didn't go to see. It started at 7.30pm but roads were closed an hour before that. I had to pass the Jaffa Street junction to do an errand but realizing that it would close soon, I hurried back as soon as I could in 10 minutes. Otherwise I would not have been able to cross the road to get back home. It would mean waiting in the street till 9pm. And it gets too chilly by then.