Monday, August 22, 2016

Food glorious food

The Sisters of Mother Teresa celebrate the feast of the Immaculate Heart of Mary today. Well in the Church calendar today should be the feast of the queenship of Mary, but the MC sisters have special permission to celebrate instead the Immaculate Heart which is their patron. I celebrated the Mass for them at 7.30am ... immediately after my 6.30am Mass in our monastery. What a rush.

Sr. Kim's Bi Bim Bap
Someone must have been talking about my pitta bread meals because suddenly the nuns are cooking up a lot of takeaway meals for me. The chinese sisters cooked rice and okra; the korean sister from the 3rd Station cooked Bi Bim Bap; and M. Teresa's sisters had rice and curry prepared. Now I have too much food!!!! And they don't know about this blog. It's very nice of them ... and God is good and provident. So I have meals for the next 3 days. Luckily I can keep the food in our library refrigerator.

Yesterday saw some violent clashes ... not with arabs but ultra-orthodox jews and israeli police. The govt. has been trying to enforce the law that ultra-orthodox jews should also do compulsory military service ... something they have avoided (against the law) for over 50 years. Well one guy refused to show up at the enlistment office so the police came to arrest him. The entire neighborhood of ultra-orthodox jews came out into the streets and rioted. They do not recognize the State of Israel or Zionism ... believing that only the Messiah can establish the State of Israel, not humans. http://www.jpost.com/Breaking-News/Dozens-of-haredi-Jews-protest-arrests-over-refusal-to-enlistment-in-IDF-464669  and  http://www.jerusalemonline.com/news/in-israel/local/violent-clashes-in-haredi-demonstration-within-jerusalem-23121

And ultra-orthodox jews in New York have also been showing their contempt for the State of Israel. At a camp for ultra-orthodox youths, a video showed them chanting anti-Israel slogans. Of course if it were done by non-jews, it would be called anti-semitism, hit the headlines and arrests would have been made.  http://www.jpost.com/Diaspora/Videos-leaked-from-Satmar-camps-show-kids-protesting-Israel-464680

Now I'm trying to arrange my timetable so that I have time to go see the allergist as Dr. John wants. My left ankle is permanently damaged so I have pain climbing down the stairs all the time. That can't be fixed. My right shoulder is still partially subluxed but yesterday I learned how to move it back into place slowly and painlessly (well almost).