Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Warm weather, hot violence

It's so warm, Abu Ibrahim's
parrot and macaw are out in
the street again
The weather has warmed up alot and so has the violence. After a nice long lull during the cold spell, yesterday saw an ignition of hatred and aggression. A druze who spoke arabic in public got beaten up by a dozen israeli jews. Another arab student in the university was beaten up by israeli youths. Arab kids threw stones at cars in Getsemani and Beit Hanina. Even in our Old City there were demonstrations in the Al Aqsa compound, tear gas and stun grenades were fired to disperse the rioters. Today arabs were throwing stones in Bustami which is the mini-quarter behind our house.

Ever since the Gaza war, soldiers and police have been deployed without the City. Arabs are stopped randomly in the streets for security checks. This time it includes emptying out pockets and removal of upper clothing in public. Arab cars are also stopped in the streets for checks. I guess the patience of arabs has worn out and the humiliation has reached an unbearable level hence this explosion of violence.

Warm nights see vendors at Damascus
Gate closing later
While coming home from work yesterday, I witnessed a near riot at Damascus Gate. Soldiers had stopped a couple of arab youths for security search but groups of arabs began to surround the soldiers, harassing them to release the youths. More soldiers were summoned for support and a scuffle broke out. I made my way quickly into the City ... needed to avoid any pushing because if I fall, my slipped disc may lead to paralysis.

So I'm still working despite the back pain. And also dreadfully afraid of eating as memories of the allergic reaction frighten me. I'm dreadfully traumatised by food. I get awfully hungry but each time I think of my swollen tongue and throat, inability to breathe ... I just stop eating. I think I'll be losing alot of weight this Spring.