Friday, January 2, 2015

New Year

Dawn on New Year's Day
The New Year was hailed in with a miserable show of fireworks ... 10 minutes of sporadic shots with nothing other than the same fireworks arabs use for weddings. But then again, Israel does not follow the pagan calendar ... those who celebrate the New Year has renamed it the feast of Sylvester ... Dec 31st being the memorial day of pope St. Sylvester. I wasn't celebrating anything of course ... my asthma and bronchitis has kept me in bed the whole week.

The weather has been below 8 degrees this entire week. The nights get terribly cold. Mr. Bird and a sick canary stay in my room ... I know ... a sick canary and me with my asthma/bronchitis but I have no other warm place to put them. The other canaries are kept inside the school corridor. Only the finches are left out in the courtyard mainly because most are nesting and I cannot move them. And like I say ... cold weather is good as it discourages violence in the streets. And ... to most  people's delight, the forecast is for snow next week. I absolutely dread it!!! I do not want to shovel snow from the roof for one week ... I've got asthma and bronchitis!!!

Naughty cat
Well it wasn't all cough and medicine this week. The past 2 days I managed to catch up with some of the Israeli Security guys. Haven't met some of them for almost a month ... Aviram, Oded, Tzion, Avihu. Guy did his last shift and has left the company. They're a nice lot and made the depression side-effect of Prednesone more tolerable because they make me laugh alot.

And for a good laugh, I caught a naughty street cat slipping into Yossi's petshop to drink aquarium water ... and possibly to catch some fish as well. It was totally oblivious to my taking a photo of it.