Sunday, February 16, 2014

Rain

Dark gloomy and wet
It drizzled all night ... and though it was not heavy, the roads are all flooded due to blocked and filthy drainage systems. In the central part of the country, major floods occurred. Later today in the afternoon, hail pelted the City and then 2 showers that sent everyone scurrying for cover. It is still very cold and wet. My israeli security friends were all freezing as they have to work out in the open. Poor chaps. They were very glad I came to chat with them as we laughed alot and forgot the miserable weather around us.

Just got news that 4 korean tourists were killed at the Sinai/Israel border. The tour bus was bombed. Now the border between Egypt and Israel is closed. Police suspect the bomb was planted in St. Catherine's Monastery.

Rainbow over the
Dormition Abbey
And then the newspapers report that the Attorney General bowed to the political right and religious extremists by allowing them to define anti-arab and anti-christian attacks as not terrorist. Awful. And a beachfront shootout in Tel Aviv saw one man dead in his car ... possibly a mafia revenge attack. So much lawlessness.

Despite the rain, I decided to go out and take a walk. Needed to clear the mind. I think I walked some 5 km. It was a pretty heavy shower at first so I had to shelter in my friend's phone shop - "Dr. Phone". Then as the skies cleared to a drizzle I continued my walk. And saw a beautiful sight ... a rainbow over the Dormition Abbey. A sign of hope ... a sign of promise. Perhaps things won't be so bad after all.