Saturday, December 14, 2013

Snowmageddon

A bluish air this morning
Last night's snowstorm was certainly frightful. It's nicknamed "Snowmaggedon". The whole City was literally frozen. Half the City (New and Old) was without electricity and left in the dark and cold. Most palces were under a foot of snow. All public transport stopped. Trees and branches snapped under the weight of the snow. Many roofs were leaking. Schools, shops and offices were closed. Govt warned everyone to stay at home.

Joe our maltese student
helped to open a drainage
for the melting snow
This morning the whole landscape was an eerie blue. Very silent after the storm. The sun was barely on the horizon before it was smothered by the bluish fog. Surreal.

I was very cold. Two heaters were not enough as temperatures plunged to minus 4 degrees. I spent most of the morning (from 6.30am!!!) shoveling snow from the 2 terraces above the library. Water was seeping into my office. It's backbreaking work. Then there was a meeting ... walked out to Notre Dame for the working lunch, then back to my other office, then back home. Then it was more shoveling of snow till it got too cold. Some of our solar panels have been smashed because of the heavy snow.

I've decided snow is no fun at all .... it's awful and awesome. And I don't want to shovel snow anymore.

Warm inside the library but a raging
storm outside


Mushy streets that make
walking very dangerous
Solar panels break under
the snow


A feeble sunrise