Saturday, December 7, 2013

Riots

The past few days have been so packed with work, I return home around 10pm and eat my first meal ... whatever there is. So tired that yesterday evening when I got home and sat by table, I blacked out (again) and bashed my face on the table, cutting my lip. Bled. I think low blood pressure is part of the problem. Need to eat more red meat, as the doc suggested. Problem is now I have swollen lips ... makes eating meat difficult.

Yesterday's noon prayer a the Al Aqsa mosque ended in violence. Muslims crowds chanted and threw stones ... Israeli military fired stun grenades and charged. The violence spilled out of the mosque area and into the streets in front of our house. Chanting crowds surge back and forth as police charged and withdrew. Stun grenades continued to be fired. A full hour passed before some calm was restored. But still several isolated stun grenades were fired several hours later. On the video just left of the Golden Dome of the Rock mosque, you can just make out people running back and forth, while plumes of tear gas rise.

Later in the evening, stun grenades were still being fired near the Damascus Gate area. Heavy military presence in the area. Well my hope for a peaceful Christmas might not come true after all.

Mandela's death is taking over the media. A great man. But racism still exists in some countries, work places, life situations and institutions. If the world wants to remember and honour Mandela ... then it should fight racism