Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Fast and prayer for Syrian christians

Jericho desert in snow
The snow storm was so powerful it actually snowed even in Jericho. I can't believe it! Friends over there took several pics of the desert covered in snow! I hear even in Egypt it snowed real bad ... the pyramids and Sphinx were covered in snow. Incredible.

But now that the storm is over, we're still enjoying fantastic sights in the sky each morning and evening. The other evening I managed to catch the setting sun just behind the Holy Sepulchre. The rays splashed through the crystals of the cross that stands over the smaller dome of the basilica, making it glisten and glimmer. Utterly beautiful. Right moment, right angle ... stupendous.

Crystals on the cross of the Holy
Sepulchre sparkle in the sunset
Mr. Bird has been boarding in my room these few days as temperatures dropped below zero. He's alot better now ... no longer biting me. And I didn't trim his feathers so he can fly. He enjoys watching the computer ... the images fascinate him. Then he walks all over my bed or sits on my study light while I type on my computer. But when sleep time comes, he gets grouchy. He wants the lights off. And if I leave it on, he starts his grouchy litany: beginning with clucking like a hen, then cooing like a pigeon, then whistling exactly the same way as I whistle at him. A great mimic. By the way he's an albino Indian ringneck parakeet ... so he's colour blind. He knows how to push open his cage door and usually he comes out and sits on top of his cage to sleep. While he's fun ... I still prefer having a dog. But I don't have the space for one.

Mr. Bird watching the
news online
Christmas is certainly closing in as shops begin to sell their tacky decorations, blasting carols out into the streets. It's the once in a year chance for arab christians to stand out as a minority ... and they feel very proud. Sadly in Syria, christians will have an awful Christmas. Rebels who have overran christian villages are now prohibiting crosses to be displayed, church bells from ringing ... and this is nothing compared to the burning of churches, bombing of schools and killing of christians. Bishops and nuns are kidnapped, priests are beaten and tortured. It;s a crime. But no one is condemning them. Instead the US and Europe continue to support the rebels in their brutal christian persecution. On the feast of the Holy Innocents (Dec 28), I'll be fasting and praying for these christians. I hope you'll join me.