Monday, December 9, 2013

Chinese medicine

Red dates and longan soup
And the temperature continues to plummet. Forecast is snow on Friday. The rains come and go between dizzle. And the wind is bitterly cold. It's been a long time since December has been so cold ... I can only think of 20 yrs back. Everyone in thick jackets and shawls or scarves and hoods and hats. Today we had just an hour of sunshine before the drizzle and clouds took over the skies.

Black sesame tang yuan
After the fainting spell the other day that ended with my cut lip, I was off to see the doctor yesterday. Blood pressure very low ... partly due to my constitution, but made worse by the medication I'm taking for the food allergy and also fatigue from work. Coming home 70 km from the doc's, it was raining heavily and the stone pavements were slippery. Fell and twisted my left ankle ... as usual. Am limping around now. But thanks to Ah Ling of Mandarin restaurant, I was fed up and had a boost in my blood pressure - she boiled longans and red chinese dates, followed by black sesame tang yuan. All supposed to raise blood pressure. It was a nice warm meal in the cold chill outside. Several doctors that I have consulted all insisted that I have to eat more red meat. I'm forbidden to be a vegetarian! Well I never had the intention, so no worries there. Problem is I hardly eat anymore ... partly because I'm scared of getting another allergy attack. It's such a frightful experience, I'm getting paranoid with food and avoiding as much as possible.

But work goes on ... lots of it. And stress and fatigue. Hopefully I can get some respite soon ... otherwise the whole body is breaking down beyond repair ... with or without food.