Monday, February 6, 2012

Yuen Xiu Festival

Chinese fried noodles arab style
So its the 15th day of the Lunar New Year - Yuen Xiu or Chap Go Meh. The Singapore group of 7 youths are celebrating it with Val at mandarin Restaurant. I'm staying home because of severe diarrhea. That's because I had some chinese noodles for lunch with the group .... not that there was anything wrong with the noodles. The rest ate it and feel fine. Its my system's intolerance for oil that's causing all the diarrhea and cramps. Too bad for me.

Salmon waffle, Belgian waffle
Yesterday the group arrived to visit Val. Had brunch at the Waffle bar in Hillel Street. Really large portions and they enjoyed it very much. Its amazing how many varieties of waffles they can come up with.

And talking about food, thanks to my family for sending up Chinese New Year goodies. The pineapple tarts were delicious but were so smashed up I had to use a spoon to eat it!!!! Oh well, you can't have it all.

Now back to the weather - deliciously bright and sunny but cold. We're hoping Europe would share some of its snow with us. The rains for the past week has raised the level of the Sea of Galilee and the Jordan River ... but still insufficient. We need more rain and a couple of days of snow. Students throughout the country are still slogging for exams.

The lightbulb in my bathroom has blown again. Because the roof is so high - 20 feet high - its not possible for me to change the bulb alone. I need a super high ladder. But asking for help is a daily trial. The arab worker will say "today" but he means tomorrow. And this drags on for 5 days now. I'm using the bathroom by candlelight. It's as bad as eating pineapple tarts with a spoon!!!