A very quiet Saturday as there was no school for us. The muslim school opposite was strangely quiet this week as well. I inquired why ... and the answer was "Last week was the New Year so 2 days holiday. Yesterday was Orthodox Christmas so 3 days holiday". I was dumbfounded! A muslim school closed for Christian feasts .... very touching. In fact I remember when John Paul II died, all the muslim schools and shops in the Old City were closed out of respect while Christian schools and shops continued to be open. Some muslim shops even had the photo of JP II pasted on their doors. It makes you think ....
Anyway the sun is up and even though it remains 17 degrees, the sun kept the spirits up. Warmer areas like Jericho have Spring flowers in bloom. I bought some anemones for my room ... and they look gorgeous. It makes the room brighter and warmer .... plus the new carpet that literally makes the floor warmer.
On the downside, our car had a nail that punctured a wheel. We had to bring the car to the garage to get the wheel fixed. Reminded me of a sick person going to the doctor. Which leads me to my painful knees ... swollen probably because of the cold. And I have an ingrown toenail on the right big toe - all swollen and pain. Can hardly walk. Can't wear shoes ... so it's cold but thanks to the carpet, it's bearable. Not a good first week of the year.
While we see this sight everyday ... I guess it'll be something novel for most of you guys ... a push-cart vendor selling kaik (sesame bagel), roasted eggs, falafel (fried chickpea patties) and zatar (grounded hyssop/oregano). It's a typical arab breakfast. And it's true ... roasted eggs taste better than boiled eggs. This guy was selling his foodstuff in front of the garage where we repaired the car wheel. Lots of mechanics and drivers came to buy their breakfast. It's these little daily happenings that we take for granted. We see it day after day ... and one day when they're gone ... we miss it. But regrets will be too late. Why didn't we appreciate it while it was still there? Have a kaik, people. It's a dying art making these fantastic bread.