Friday, January 6, 2012

Epiphany

A glorious sunrise on Epiphany morning. The rains stopped and it's less cold today - 7 degrees. The sun shone right behind the clouds on the Mt. of Olives and there was a golden lining. Reminded me of the gold the Magi brought to the manger.

Everyone else had gone to Bethlehem to celebrate Epiphany - God manifesting himself (originally in the Baptism of Christ, and the wedding at Cana, and eventually the Adoration of the Magi was added). Almost all the Catholics in jerusalem went there. The Orthodox on the otherhand celebrated Christmas today. Unfortunately during the celebrations of Christmas in Jaffa, the leader of the Orthodox community was stabbed to death just a while ago.  http://www.haaretz.com/news/national/senior-member-of-israel-christian-community-stabbed-to-death-in-jaffa-1.405924

In the west this morning, the clouds were rosy and heavy. Looked like it might rain from that side ... but the sun eventually overtook the skies and we had a nice warm day ... around 17 degrees in the afternoon. I managed to do more gardening today. Planted some St. John's Wort and Violets in some pots. As it was a holiday in our school, Benoit didn't come to work so I didn't have to relocate the periodicals from the 3rd floor to the 1st floor. Nice break for me.

Opposite where I sit for meals in the refectory is an old painting of the Epiphany. It's weirdly shaped and the face of Mary is gone. It actually was the painting hanging over the altar inside the cave of the Nativity where the Magi came to adore the Infant Jesus - hence the weird shape: it had to fit into the shape of the cave. Candles used to be lighted on the altar for Mass and that burned out the face of Mary. As a new picture was commissioned for the cave, this old one was placed in our refectory directly opposite where I sit. So I see it everyday. Khalil our cook did up a fantastic lunch of baked salmon. Everyone loved it. But I decided to cook plain rice instead and ate it with raw salmon. It went so very well - no pain, cramps or diarrhea.

Thanks to Dr. Fung and Letty I finally managed to buy a carpet for my room. It helps so much to keep the floor warm as the temperature these few days have dropped so drastically. It's the last present for Christmas because it officially ends with Epiphany.