Sunday, September 18, 2011

Tuna sandwich and war

Thanks to Sr Emilia's group, I could buy a nice bun for Sunday breakfast - something I stopped doing over a year ago when bread now costs over US$1. Went to my friend's shop "Everyday" and bought a tuna sandwich. It's the only day of the week that I eat breakfast ... well, actually twice a month to be exact ... since I only have half a cup of coffee and nothing else. Arik my friend makes the sandwiches himself. And it cost 10 shekels which is about US$2.

On a sombre note, yesterday saw the first test of Israel's military in the face of Palestinian violence. At the Qalandya checkpoint between Samaria and Judah, Palestinians held a demonstration against Israel which the IDF responded with might - closing down the checkpoint. Some of Motehr Theresa's sisters who came out of Samaria to Jerusalem could not return home and had to spend the night at their Jerusalem convent. Lucky for them I had extra fish curry cooked and brought them over for their dinner.

This morning during Mass, military helicopters were flying very low above our place. Everyone was buzzing that there's problems in the Mosque. No one was optimistic about this week. We all expect some form of violence.

As things get heated up this week, the govt. is considering declaring emergency law to clamp down on violent demonstrations. http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition/news/israel-mulls-emergency-laws-to-handle-palestinian-riots-in-west-bank-1.385065  But of course these  laws apply only to arabs and not provocative rightist Jewish settlers who equally create the violence.

So Friday 23rd is the day to watch. Whether or not the UN votes for Palestine, some form of violent reaction is expected .. if not from the arabs than from the jewish settlers.