Friday, September 23, 2011

D-Day

Checkpoint at New Gate
Clashes in Qalandya, Nablus and south Jerusalem. 1 killed. But in the Old City there was relative calm. Massive police/military presence. City Gates and streets leading to the Muslim Quarter have all been closed. Only men above 50 yrs and tourists were allowed to enter.  I wanted to take some photos but couldn't.  http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/report-palestinian-killed-in-west-bank-clashes-with-israeli-forces-1.386341

Till now, Abbas has not brought up the issue to the UN. It will be a little later today. Then the vote will be taken, and we'll see how the arabs will take the result. If there'll be any violence, it should come later tonight when the vote is taken. Let's see and hope for the best.

Meantime many shops have remained close due to fear of riots. The streets were deathly quiet. Hardly anyone walked outside. Only the few tourist groups continued to make their usual route.

I'm still down with a virus ... or some say it's bronchitis. Rasping cough, fever, sore throat and lots of phlegm. Got antibiotic and flu tablets from the pharmacy - but the medicine makes me very sleepy. In fact slept during work yesterday. Dydy my editor had to wake me up several times. I hope to get better by Monday when I see the doc for pre-op check-up.