Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Cold day

The temperature picked up a little yesterday afternoon. But the nights are still very cold - 5 degrees or so. My trusty "hot air fan" gave up on me 4 days ago. Have been passing the nights in the cold .... in fact couldn't sleep because of the cold. Yesterday I finally got a new "hot air fan" - 119 shekels. That was the cheapest available. It is expensive living here ... I was talking about this to a local yesterday. Daily life is expensive - a piece of bread is US$1 (by the way I stopped buying my Sunday buns from the 8th Station a long time ago when the price was raised to US$2 a piece).

Yesterday morning I woke up with a very tight feeling on both feet - both were swollen like water melons. Don't know what went wrong. But my asthma woes might just be diagnosed after all .... as doctor friend in the US has been rigorously checking it out: allergy to the canaries.

Anyway yesterday I worked a total 18 hours non stop (no lunch or breakfast) and by 9pm was so exhausted I fell asleep while cleaning my room. Let's see if I can break this record by doing 24 hrs.

We even have a drought levy to pay because of the lack of rain. But hopefully more rain will fall this year so the levy can be suspended. http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1261364466647&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull

Some more disturbing news against christians:
2) Jew for Jesus baker cannot get Rabbi's certificate to run bakery http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1261364466725&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull

On a happier note, archaeologists have found a Jesus era house right in front of our entrance to the Annunciation Basilica and the church of St. Joseph. Well ... the dating of the house is a matter of conjecture. And the position of the discovery is not too convenient - directing under the only road in that area.