Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Pray for peace

3 Katushya rockets hit the northern Israeli border with Lebanon. Once again we don't think it's the Lebanese army as the shots were pretty poor, one actually fell within Lebanon itself. Now there's rumours that sirens in Jerusalem went off this morning and a rocket hit somewhere here.... nothing substantiated. I think all these rumours are just meant to whip up emotions and reactions.

Not all Israelis agree with this Gaza seige by the way. http://www.echoroukonline.com/eng/world/4456.html

After having seen news clips on the internet on the worldwide reaction, I was slowly beginning to be horrified by the emotions that generated and were generated by these demonstrations. Horrified - because sometimes the whole thing is reduced to a racial or religious thing, which is too simplistic. Some people have lost focussed on the real issue - which is to be able to live securely, without fear of being killed each time you walk outside or go to sleep. I live in Israel, and I certainly don't want to bombed by a rocket from either Hamas or the Israeli military. We just want to get on with daily life, as normal as it can be here in these parts. It's not a pro-Palestine or pro-Israel issue, it's a pro-peace issue. Now how you get about reaching this peace is another thing. The motive and the means are two issues here. I'm sure everyone agrees with the motive for peace; it's the means of reaching this peace that's getting people worked up. But unfortunately some people have mixed up the means for the motive; and when this misundertanding is brought into demonstrations/protests, it can get ugly. Well so much for my two cents worth of opinion.

We continue to pray daily for peace here. And I'm sure you do too.