Sunday, January 4, 2009

Peace please

It was still very cold today. The dean and I continued to clean out the garden this morning. No one threw bottles ... though I'm pretty wary of my surroundings now. Moved some very heavy pots 4 floors down to the Chapel courtyard. Then for the rest of the day I was reading up on my research.

Israeli troops have not only entered Gaza, today they divided Gaza into 2 or 3 quarters, isolating the pockets of extremists inside. But of course it's also fine-combing the area to release Schalit, the captured Israeli soldier. We want this nightmare to end - Jews, Muslims and Christians. Enough suffering. Enough deaths. With all the infra-structure in Gaza destroyed (schools, university, police stations, TV station, offices etc...), how in the world will the Gazans resume political and social/economic normality after the war? Who will help them rebuild? Who will help those people piece back their broken lives?