| Our tomcat shivering in the cold |
There was a tragedy in our Catholic housing estate in Bethpage 2 days ago. A 16 yr old boy was playing basketball with his friends when he fell and his heart stopped. He was on life-support for 24 hours but died consequently. Everyone was shocked. He appeared healthy. No signs that he had a heart problem. That got me thinking about myself the past 3 years. The fainting spells and blackouts were actually heart attacks. I could have died so many times. Climbing stairs, wheezing and short of breath, thinking it was asthma .... they were angina attacks. And the thing is ECGs don't catch it the first time. It was only the 4th time that ECG showed something irregular and that prompted Dr. Thaer to call an ambulance to bring me to the emergency ward at Hadassah. And that resulted in a triple bypass. Each time I think about the many times I could have died but regained consciousness ... I thank God.