 |
The drummer and caller at 3am |
It's Independence Day today ... the airforce flypass is taking place right now above my head ... but I'm indoors in my office typing this blog. I wanted to go to Jaffa to rest today and watch the flypass by the sea. It's spectacular, and last year it was cancelled due to the pandemic lockdown. But I was told that some roads might be closed today due to Ramadan coinciding ... so some of my workers may not be able to come to work. So I had to stay back and do their jobs at the libraries from 8am to 5pm. End of my holiday dream.
Anyway I think there was fireworks last night. I was dead asleep so I didn't know what was happening. But I did get up at 3am and went to the terrace for some fresh air ... the weather was warmed up to 16 degrees now. Below the terrace the drummer was beating his drum and another was calling out to people to wake up and eat before the Ramadan fast begins at daybreak. At 4am the cannon blasted to announce the start of the fast and the streets suddenly became empty. All the muslims were back home sleeping. It staves off the hunger and thirst.
 |
| Patriarch and sisters |
Anyway I'm feeling unwell today ... dizzy, nausea and no appetite. People say I'm exhausted ... from my eyes and face. I feel it. I'll go rest in Jaffa later this week ... if I can. Part of the exhaustion came from yesterday's heavy workload, including accompany 2 nursing nuns to see the Patriarch. They had a new superior and I had to connect them with the Patriarch for a courtesy visit.
Israel is allowing foreign tourists to come in groups in May. The economy based on tourism is vitally in need of reviving this sector. But only people having been vaccinated may come. That's a good start.