 |
| Vandalised public piano |
Today is the 1st Friday of Ramadan ... and last night saw one fo the fiercest clashes in recent years. Arab muslims against Israeli police. The news say that there was already several nights of clashes but I only heard the one from last night. Apparently the police were trying to control crowds in order to prevent Covid contamination, so they chased away arab youths seated on the steps of the Damascus Gate cavea. That led to clashes all the way down to Herod's Gate near my house. Stun grenades were exploded to disperse the rioters but a policeman was injured in the fracas. This morning there were hundreds of police at every corner of the Muslim Quarter ... and entry to the Old City was restricted to muslims who are inoculated. That of course will lead to more discontent. But the fear of a 4th wave of Covid is very real since most of the arabs are not inoculated. And they come from all corners of the country to the Mosque to pray during Ramadan.
https://www.timesofisrael.com/police-gird-for-possible-unrest-after-friday-ramadan-prayers-in-jerusalem/ |
| Honeyeater on my flowers |
The public piano placed at New Gate for the public to play and enjoy was totally stripped of its keys. I said it 3 months ago when it was installed ... it won't last long. It took 3 months for the vandals to destroy it. With such destructive behaviour, can anyone wonder the violence they'll get up to at Damascus Gate during Ramadan?
My little garden behind the library is blossoming so well, yesterday I saw a honeyeater coming to feed from the many flowers there. It was very satisfying. It means the flowers are healthy and natural, so the birds know it's safe to come to this little corner t feed. And there are no cats to bother them! Now that's a nice break from all the clashes happening around us. The flowers and the birds are not bothered by that.
Well I have to be worried because I need to go home. And if there are clashes, the police will close off my area and I won't be able to go home. It might be a very long weekend stuck in the library.