Friday, April 2, 2021

Good Friday

Packed Way of the Cross
 It's Good Friday. At 5.30am there were already 3 groups at our door waiting to make the Way of the Cross. I was out throwing the rubbish so I could have a cup of coffee before sunrise and the fast began. It was still very dark and cold, and lots of muslims were coming out from the Al Aqsa Mosque which is typical of Saturday. Police began setting up road barriers all around our house to control the crowds.

By 8am more and more people, all locals or religious living in the country, were coming to start the Way of the Cross so we finally opened out main gate to let them in. At 11.30 the friars with the Nuncio came to start the official Way of the Cross and the crowd was impressive. 

Dark sky and rain at noon
I on the otherhand had to stay away from crowds because I'm not vaccinated so I went 1km away to the Herodian Tombs which I usually do every Good Friday morning. There in the park there are several tombs from the time of Christ, one still intact with a rolling stone at the door. I sat there and read the Passion according to John. The sun was shining, a cold breeze was blowing, birds singing and I was all alone at the tomb. It was very evocative ... to be sitting in front of the tomb from the 1st century. After meditating on the Passion, I went home through the lower park towards Jaffa Gate of the Old City.

The rest of the day was spent in my room, cleaning and studying while following the celebrations in the Holy Sepulchre online. At 12pm the sky suddenly turned very dark, a strong cold wind blew and a couple of thunder rumblings were heard. It started to rain and continued to do so till 6pm. 

Procession of the True Cross
The Patriarch this morning presided at the Passion liturgy on Mt. Calvary. The relic of the True Cross was carried out and venerated up on Calvary. It's a very poignant liturgy. While the rest of the world, churches symbolically celebrate these rituals, here it takes place at the very spot where it occurred 2000 years ago. You should come and join in once in your lifetime. It's very special.


Police barrier in
front of our house