Sunday, April 18, 2021

More clashes

Clashes at Damascus Gate
 4 nights of clashes between arab women and israeli police. Friday night I just could not resist. So I went out to watch the fights. It was after the break-fast meal and crowds had gone to the Mosque to make the last prayers of the day and were coming out of the Old City. Thousands, some 70,000 muslims, from around the country were exiting and at about 9.30pm, the clashes began. Cheers and jeers from the arab youths ... then Israeli police fired stun grenades. It went on till midnight.

Police and horses charged many times at the crowds, which ran into the smaller streets at Nablus Road. But within minutes they regathered and returned to Damascus Gate. Police again charged and fired stun grenades. It was a cat-and-mouse game. 

Huge crowds of rioters
But still hundreds of others were not bothered. They sat in the park and at Palm Plaza, eating their picnic dinners, caring less of the chaos 30 meters away. It was surreal. People talking about shopping, weather and food ... I really wanted to laugh. Background were explosions of stun grenades, screams and shouts.

Anyway I couldn't go home till midnight as the clashes continued down to Herod's Gate, and police had blocked off the roads. The nights are getting warmer now ... about 16 degrees ... and today shot up to 33 degrees. That provokes the quick temper of everyone, plus the hunger from fasting. Ramadan is always an interesting (exciting) time. Adrenalin pumping. I was close enough to the crowds but not close enough for the police to mistake me as one of the rock-throwers. I just took photos. But it was fun.

Mounted police in front of me
From today we don't have to wear masks anymore in public open spaces. Only in enclosed spaces must we wear it. But I'll keep wearing it anyway because I'm not vaccinated. And there's an Indian strain detected here. They say it's a deadly strain. Still the govt. feels confident enough to open the country back to almost normality. Let's hope for the best.