Saturday, December 15, 2018

Tense

Palm Plaza at 6pm. Deserted.
Yesterday was tense and there were several revenge attacks by jews against arabs. They threw stones and attacks arab cars in the settlements in Palestine. Buses and cars had to detour through villages and dirt roads to avoid the road blocks and attacks. In Jerusalem muslims continued to enter the Old City for Friday prayers but the crowds were noticeably smaller. Probably Israeli checkpoints stopped some from coming into the City. Palm Plaza and Damascus Gate were rather quiet and deserted as a result. Jews came in the evening to the Wailing Wall for Sabbat prayers and police presence was stepped up. It'll be like this for the next few days. Everyone is worried that things will escalade.

Bedouin women selling veg at a quiet
Damascus Gate
Yesterday also saw numerous protests in Tel Aviv. Many groups gathered in yellow vests ... copying the French popular yellow vest protest ... protesting for various reasons. Cyclists protested against the lack of bicycle lanes in Tel Aviv - they pay a fine if they ride on pedestrian lanes, but they claim riding on the narrow roads of Tel Aviv is dangerous as cars will knock them down. Women protested because the govt. is still dragging its feet in enacting laws to protect women from violence. Common jews protested against the laced security that has led to the stabbings and killings by arab terrorists. Political groups protested against the corruption of the govt. Other jews protested against the rising prices of food and basic necessities. Newspapers say it was one of the largest protests ever to take place in the country.  

Today I had to preach a retreat so I missed our community retreat which took place at the same time. Then I decided to clean my room. Actually it's more of organising my documents that lie in several boxes that occupy too much space in my tiny room. But it takes a long time as I tire easily and can only work slowly. I guess I'll have to continue doing it tomorrow.