Thursday, December 6, 2018

Heavy rain

Damascus Gate in
the rain
It rained hard early this morning ... at 4am there was thunder and lightning and then for the rest of the morning it swung between shower and drizzle. In the afternoon it was more shower than drizzle and this continues till now 8.30pm. Bedouin women who brought their vegetables for sale laid their products out in the rain ... the vegetables remained fresh and washed. Shops on both sides of the street raised awnings and tents. They know full well that people sheltering under their wings will eventual buy something from them.

The temp. fell to 10 degrees though I noticed in Tel Aviv it was 16 degrees. The coastal cities had much more rain than we did ... in fact cities like Rehovot was inundated. Kindergarten children had to be saved in dinghys. And the forecast is more rain for the next 3 days. I wish I could sleep through all this ... the perfect weather.   https://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-5421035,00.html?fbclid=IwAR3jEuu3iU6XMGidj3nhfxEDiRRKmJ6cwtc1GoAgGZBViF4de42LPQvZq3U

On the contrary I had to work all day today. Thursdays are as bad as Mondays. Besides the usual paper work with the lawyers and banks, I had class and then confessions/adoration with M. Teresa's sisters. I was quite wet from going back and forth for the various work. Luckily the sisters had heaters turned on so my clothes became dry quickly and I did not catch a cold.

Students enjoying sushi
In the afternoon, I had to take 3 of my students of English out to lunch. They wanted so much to try sushi so I brought them a corner shop for some. They loved it ... and they got to study english as well. I wasn't letting them go without teaching them life-situational english.

The demonstration on Tuesday in support for more legislation to protect women from domestic abuse grew so large and the tension ws so high, the Israeli army could not contain the thousands gathered in the march in Tel Aviv and just let them do their own thing. Many private and govt. companies, institutes and agencies allowed their employees to take a day off to march in support.   https://www.haaretz.com/opinion/.premium-after-this-week-s-protest-against-femicide-women-in-israel-can-dream-1.6722054?fbclid=IwAR1SbPFFWez2dKh9a0YBnI4xEQgUw79lI61nulQi7KiBYWCUcgoJOVMKhuc
and
https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium-army-op-couldn-t-hold-back-outrage-over-inaction-on-violence-against-women-1.6719520?fbclid=IwAR0Vi3AyGXCqSRUCRsKP1zbkNb_A4UCw4NxEX-PJHrkWrVHE5LlW0_nbKjI