Friday, December 28, 2018

Holy Innocents day

The rains have stopped after a drizzle early this morning and the sun is up .... fighting behind the clouds. It is very cold ... 7 degrees maximum today and the forecast is another storm tomorrow. It sets the mood for the feast of the Holy Innocents ... the slaughter of little babies by Herod.

Cauliflowers growing
My visit to the MC convent in Bethlehem the other day was very pleasant. The convent overlooks the vast Judean desert to the east. I offered Mass in their chapel ... which is barely 300 meters from the Basilica of the Nativity. Remembered you all at Mass .... all living and dead, all intentions and petitions. I didn't have lunch there but I visited their garden and saw Sr. Emiline had been planting a lot of veggies. There were baby cauliflowers and spinach ... typical winter veggies. Amazing.

Deserted streets in
the rain
There is revealed a dehumanising legal policy in Israel which forbids relationships between foreign workers. The punishment is deportation. Foreign workers may not have children or be married here. The govt fears that a foreign family unit might be established here ... and this is forbidden. Israel is for jews only. I wonder how the Holy Innocents feel about this ... 2000 years ago they were deemed a threat too.
https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium-dozens-to-hundreds-how-israel-deports-foreign-worker-couples-1.6787509?fbclid=IwAR3qgQvfngmg_C58R4kngnDAviMwDS3E9tijhBq6UBPwKZ-cpkNvLNw2JDs
and
https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium-in-court-israel-defends-ban-on-relationships-between-foreign-workers-1.6785834?fbclid=IwAR2CFcyFZSzjECpCPMvjY_MnWLbbC1nOxiaFGbV4lL-7Vnyi47z8qFxHVm0