![]() |
| Pickled olives sold in the streets |
But before that, hawkers lined the sides of El Wad street - the main artery that leads from Damascus Gate down to the Wailing Wall, passing by the entrances to the Al Aqsa Mosque. They sold everything ... from candied apples to potato chips to pickled vegetables and arab pastries. Everyone was buying and eating anything and everything. That's what Ramadan nights are all about.
Today was rather calm ... at least in our Quarter because the residents needed to recover from all the feasting. But this evening the last Friday of Ramadan begins. Now that worries us as it usually gets very rowdy and spills into riots. So for the 2nd night running, police were on extra alert ... every few metres are 4 to 6 soldiers. No nonsense.
![]() |
| "Taliban" jewish woman |
Well in the midst of my rushing from one corner of the City to another, I came across a "Taliban" jewish lady ... a new phenomenon in the ultra-orthodox circle where women cover themselves totally ... not even eye-slits. This lady was pushing a pram across the train tracks and I thought she'd better be able to see if the train is coming under all that cloth. It was like she threw a blanket over herself. Actually 5 minutes before I saw this lady, I saw 2 others further down the street, similarly covered. Most people think they're muslims but they're actually jews. It's quite a fad now.

