Thursday, February 23, 2017

Weekend

More anemones
blooming at the
library entrance
It's Thursday ... another week comes to an end. Time passes so quickly sometimes I don't know how it was spent. Students have started the 2nd semester of school but within 4 months it's the exams again. But in between those months, we have Holy Week and Easter. This year the Orthodox and Roman calendars coincide (like in 2014 and 2015) so the Holy Sepulcher will be packed with christians of all denominations. Let's hope there will be no fights between the churches.

The weather has warmed up a little. It's ok to wear a light jumper but when indoors a thick jacket is needed. The flowers on the otehrhand are enjoying the warmth. The anemones that I planted in the library's flower boxes are blooming profusely. Back home the muscari and freesias are also budding. I'll enjoy them this year ... possibly the last time. I don't think I have the energy anymore to garden anymore. I'm just too weak and drained to do what I love. I might even stop teaching altogether.

My portrait
My best buddy Sharfi is studying graphics and animation ... and he drew a caricature of me yesterday. Rather flattering ... like I was 30 years back!! Hahahahahahahaha. Well at my age all I ever will have is memories. Sometimes as I walk in the streets and look at the faces of the people especially the elderly, I think of what stories they can tell about their lives .... the war, the pain, sorrows, joys, successes, adventures .... The stories would be so rich. But all remain hidden in the heart ... and will be buried forever in the grave. It's so sad that others will never learn from their experiences. So time passes, history slithers on .... the words of W.B. Yeats come to mind "Turning and turning in the widening gyre ... the falcon cannot hear the falconer ..."  ... the chasm that time creates between the past and present, between memories and dreams.