Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Coldest day so far

Sunny but very very cold today
It's possibly the coldest day this winter today ... forecast for minus 1 degree this evening. Even right now at 1pm it's freezing. But the sun is shining brightly. Could easily fool anyone just seeing the sun from indoors that it's warm.

The trash collection strike is into the 4th day. Garbage trucks have parked in front of the PM's residence here in Jerusalem. People affected are getting annoyed, having to climb over piles of  trash getting in and out of the house. And newspapers have now revealed that it's a row between the Jerusalem Mayor and the Finance Minister which, out of spite, have ordered this strike. Every resident, innocent though they may be, is now affected. Kindergartens have now joined in the strike as well.  http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4915624,00.html

In the camouflage of American chaos, Israel goes ahead to allow building thousands of houses in Palestinian land. Trump is providing a great smoke screen.  http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/1.768882

Anyway despite everything, life goes on. I still have to climb 1 km uphill to get to work twice a day and rush downhill twice a day for the other job. Asthma attacks whenever I'm halfway on the road. I work about 16 hours a day. And I was so tired, I slept though Sunday night when Billy of Mian restaurant invited me over for steam-boat (hot pot). Felt real bad ... so went over today to exchange New Year greetings.

Exhibition on Venetian treasures
Meantime am very busy co-organising an exhibition in conjunction with the Italian Synagogue. It's a celebration of Venice's presence in the Holy Land. Some of our ancient manuscripts and books will be displayed, those produced in Venice or produced here by Venetians. Then there is another team here preparing another exhibition for November. Then there is the British Library team digitalizing our other manuscripts. And it's exam time so lots of students are coming in asking for books. And this is just one library. The other one also has its share of students facing exams, and an extra-curricular course with lots of visiting students asking this and that. Also school is starting in the other university faculty where I teach. 4 hours a week. I'm running here and there like a headless cook as australians would say. I am exhausted ... and exhaustion has made me lose my memory.