Monday, October 10, 2016

Violent Sunday

Bomb scare at Jaffa Street
Yesterday was a morning of violence. I mentioned yesterday about the shooting in Sheikh Jarrah neighbourhood. It turned out that the killer was supposed to go to jail for a previous crime at 10am that morning but instead went on a shooting spree. 2 dead and 6 injured. Police fear it might embolden more copycat attacks but have decided not to make increase security so as not to rise tensions. Shopkeepers in our street say he's often seen walking along our street. No one suspected he would do such a thing. I'll have to watch my back as I do have jewish friends who work as security around my area. Some arabs living in the neighbourhood have called me traitor and jewish dog. They would have no qualms in killing me if they have the opportunity.

Meantime while coming home from work (yes I work on Sundays too ... 7 days a week), I found Jaffa Street blocked off just in front of Mandarin Restaurant. A suspicious package was left next to the tram tracks and the bomb squad came to check it out. It was not a bomb. But it created quite a drama ... especially just an hour after the Sheikh Jarrah shooting.

Dumpster on fire
as riot police
stand by
Then nearer home, I wanted to buy some stationary for the library but found the whole of East Jerusalem outside the Old City closed off. Riot police were everywhere. Smoke filled street after street. All shops were closed. Dumpsters were set on fire at every street corner. Apparently there was a riot in that area (along Salahaddin Street and in the Zahara neighbourhood) and the police stepped in quickly to disperse the trouble-makers. I couldn't get what I wanted. But I did get some good photos. No idea why there was a riot.

But tourists will never see this because it took place in East Jerusalem where tourists never go. So don't worry. It's safe to come.

But yesterday was also a consolation. Sr. Munira from Damascus called me to ask if I was alright, if my health was holding up. It was very nice of her. Despite the war and difficulties in Syria, she still remembered me. Anyway she did ask for prayers as well because the war is really bad. Sr. Munira works in the catholic hospital in Damascus. The line as you can expect was very bad but we managed to carry on a short conversation despite several cuts. I guess some people still care. Not everyone wants me dead.

It's almost a tradition that the Hebrew University relaunches the academic year late. There's been this dispute of budget with the govt. which has never been resolved. It's been dragging for years and school has always been delayed in starting on time. http://www.jerusalemonline.com/news/in-israel/education-and-society/beginning-of-hebrew-university-academic-year-postponed-24119