Sunday, October 30, 2016

Heroes in Aleppo

Jerusalem Old City still asleep
Sunday morning ... beautiful sunshine and most of Israel was still enjoying an extra hour of sleep. Daylight saving ended last night. Made no difference to me. I was up at 4am as usual with an asthma attack. Not very severe. Buddy heard me wheezing and flew down from his perch (the curtain rail 12 feet high) to sit on my shoulder. He imitates me whenever I sneeze or cough. And he's learned to say "yai yai" ("bad boy"). He's a good companion whenever I'm sick. He keeps me company by refusing to leave my shoulder .... no matter how much you shoo him away.

And I woke up to a wonderful article and video posted on Aleteia ("Truth") catholic network. It's about Fr. Ibrahim Alsabagh, our friar of the Holyland Custody working in Aleppo. Alone in the wartorn city, he gathered the youths to help support the remaining christian community amid the ruins. Youths who before the war, never showed up in church or disdained religion, now risk their lives 24/7 by delivering water and food to home-bound christians and serving the refugees inside our church and school premises. All for Christ. Amazing story that you should share with others. And please know that most of your kind offerings and donations go to help Fr. Ibrahim and other friars and nuns still serving in Syria. Continue your generous help please ... your fellow christians in Syria need to rebuild their lives and ONLY YOU CAN HELP.  http://aleteia.org/2016/10/29/miracles-and-not-just-bombs-and-missiles-are-raining-down-in-syria/?ru=04231f67c1e808c31a7d4426a424e98a

Sunrise today
Well last week is over. It was one of the most hectic weeks I ever had. Last evening when my turn of service was over, I went out for a burger dinner with Matthias (it was also his turn in his community). Nice simple celebration to acknowledge that we did good, serving the community. But thinking of Aleppo and the friars there, their service has little celebration. And their service is so much greater. I wonder if I could go join the friars there.