Monday, October 17, 2016

Full moon

Full moon over Damascus Gate
The 1st day of Sukkoth seems to have passed rather quietly. No incidents. Jews carrying the 4 species (citron, willow, myrtle and palm) can be seen throughout the Old and New City. The moon has been marvelously bright and full ... and incredible sight at night. It's also quite red ... but in the photos it appears white.

I managed to take a few very nice photos (not with a professional camera so the resolution is a little low and blurry) of the moon ... one over Damascus Gate and another just as it was behind the Cross of our belfry. It was such a coincidence. Amazing. Well it was 4am when I took it ... I was up walking on the terrace because I had an attack of asthma. To clear the lungs of fluid, I must walk about ... and I have been doing that many times. It's tiring as I would have preferred to sleep but the fluids would suffocate me so the night walks are necessary.

Full moon behind
the Cross
While the bombings in Aleppo continue, we now hear that the Syrian govt will start another military campaign, this time in Mosul. No one dares to think of the casualties. This is so tragic ... and nobody seems to be doing anything to stop it.

Last night there was news that police were throwing grenades as part of a drill ... but in an arab village with inhabitants. Now that's dangerous ... and illegal. But the police say it's legal. You decide. http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/1.747700

Singapore seems to be riding high with gold medals this year. Kyla Poh won the gold medal for freestyle indoor skydiving. An amazing performance.  http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/sport/singaporean-crowned-junior-freestyle-champion-at-indoor/3209096.html?cid=fbcna

I'm looking forward to the Priestly Blessing on Wednesday morning at the Wailing Wall. It's one event I try not to miss. It's hauntingly beautiful ... to hear the ancient words chanted by jewish priests as it was done 2000 years ago. Yup, that's another amazing moment.