Friday, February 20, 2015

Snow again

Snow smothering my flowers
at 1am
Yesterday was a very cold Thursday. It rained all day ... with sleet and graupel ... and very strong winds. It's so cold, four children in Gaza died yesterday from lack of heating. Police and Home Front services have been advising people to stock up with food and water as roads will be closed ... and all shops.

I went out at 3pm to buy bread and water as the police advised. The rain was bitterly cold and most shops were sold out on bread. I had to go to the largest bakery in our area, which is in the Musrara neighbourhood, to get some fresh bread for the next few days when we're stuck at home. Out in the streets, crowds of people especially women were rushing about buying up as much food as possible. Husbands and sons were tagging behind, strained by the load of purchases made.

By 5pm the first snowfall began ... large flakes and lots of sleet. I wasn't looking forward to it. Because of my slipped disc, I could not keep my flower pots in the shade ... and the freesias and anemones are just beginning to flower. I'm afraid they'll all be frost-bitten. And the poor finches will have to endure another snowstorm out in the courtyard. I've fixed a 100 watt bulb in their cage to warm it up and wrapped their cage with blankets for warmth and plastic from the wet. The canaries are luckier ... being in a smaller cage, I put them inside my office with the heater on. And of course Mr. Bird sleeps in my room.
Vegetarian lunch yesterday

Yesterday being the first day of the New Year, my meal was vegetarian. I had bought 2 kg of spinach and cooked them and kept in 6 small containers. That way I just take out and eat what I need without having to heat up all and ruin the lot. Khalil our chef cooked up scrambled eggs and tomatoes for me as well. It was a nice warm lunch. Couldn't help thinking of the poor children in Gaza who are still sleeping roofless, without heating and warm food. Mother Theresa's sisters from Gaza are in Jerusalem now ... I'll have to pass them some help to bring to those children.