Saturday, February 14, 2015

Last Saturday of the Year of the Horse

Patriarch's Street leading to
the Holy Sepulchre is almost
empty
It rained the whole night ... and the skies are cleared from dust and sand. It is still very cold though ... about 5 degrees. And the skies are cloudy and dark. My asthma continued all night ... now my chest hurts very much from all the coughing and wheezing. And I finished one Ventolin inhaler in just one night. Too much steroids in my system now ... am feeling nauseous.

Groups of tourists continue to come, though very few in number. They're mostly asian groups from Mainland China, Vietnam and Japanese. Most restaurants have closed due to lack of business. Small hotels are also closed. All are taking advantage of this lull in tourism to make repairs, renovations or changes in ownership. The streets are relatively quiet now. We expect a sudden rise of tourists next week ... mainly chinese during the Chinese New Year holidays. I heard some 50 groups are coming just next week alone.

The Ancient Roman Gate
museum is now reopened
under Damascus Gate
Last night there was a clash between jewish security guys and local arab youths behind my house. From what I learned, 2 security guys had their path blocked by 4 arab youths who refused to budge. In the stalemate, the security guys pushed their way through and a punch-up resulted. Both sides called for backup ... ending in a 40 person free for all. Finally police and soldiers came and the everything died down. That's how volatile things are in our Quarter. The other Quarters are peaceful and never face such aggression. It's only here this corner of the Muslim Quarter.

The ancient City Gate from the Roman period is now reopened after years of closure. It contains the remains of the Roman Plaza and tower at Damascus Gate. The present Damascus Gate is built over this ancient entrance. I believe there is no entry fee to this museum. I'll go visit it when I feel better.