 |
Tourists being stopped and searched |
Tensions are up again today after yesterday's death of a Palestinian minister after scuffles with Israeli soldiers. Violence in Qalandya immediately flared up though the rest of the Territories remained quiet. Today heavy police presence throughout the City ... every other 10 cars in the street is followed by a police vehicle. Soldiers stop and search everyone ... including tourists!
pockets are emptied, bags emptied out ... it's a new and vigorous tactic by the police. Not a pleasant experience for the tourists for sure ... but we believe the police must have had a tip-off regarding certain tourists and the possibility of violence.
 |
| Dusk in the Old City |
And of course all this happens when the weather is perfect. Daytime is a lovely sunny 16 degrees and nights are a comfortable 12 degrees. Good weather for violence. When the skies display a wondrous sunrise and sunset, we have to beware. Tomorrow is Friday and we expect the worse. But then again the weather forecast predicts rain. That could just save us from a possible bad Friday of violence. Well I won't be around to find out as I'll be off to see the doctor. Let's hope there're not many road blocks and checkpoints, given the tense situation.
I'm into my 3rd day of prednesone. The asthma has greatly been reduced. But the other medicines for bronchitis is making me very weak and sleepy. That's tough when I have so much work to do.