Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Independence Day

Formation flying over
the steeple of St. Peter's
The solemn day of Remembrane on Monday gave way to revelling and parties in the evening to celebrate Independence Day. The streets in Jerusalem were filled with Israelis holding flags and other accessories. Makeshift stalls selling Independence Day souvenirs and food literally lined Jaffa Street up into Ben Yehuda. Street corners had bands playing and alcohol was flowing from pubs into the streets. Fireworks were set off at 10pm.

I took a brief walk downtown to see the festivities then went to Mandarin's. Ah Ling had cooked rice and tomato fried eggs and beef to take away but insisted I first ate with the cooking team before leaving. They had porridge with fried calamari, beef with szechuen veggies and fried doufu. It was very nice.

Hazy skies spoiled
the display
Early yesterday morning I went off to my other community in Jaffa. Had this day off as I finished my teaching curriculum on Monday. The superior of Jaffa invited me to spend the day there and rest. And I did. Arrived at 6.30am, celebrated Mass with the community and then slept till 10am. Went up to the iconic church's roof to watch the annual flypass of Independence Day. The beachfront of Tel Aviv was packed with crowds. But the weather was bad .... very hazy and strong winds. The airshow was staggered and delayed. But the few formation flights of the airforce were impressive. Our church being the landmark where all aircraft take their orientation became a great advantage for taking photos. All the aircraft had to fly over the church as part of the flight path. The superior and I stood below our steeple and took photos. Incredible sight.

In the afternoon I suffered a bad attack of asthma. Forgot to bring my medicine with me, and pharmacies were closed due to Independence Day. They wanted to bring me to hospital but I thought I could risk the 45 min. bus ride home. Which I did. Only I forgot I still had to walk 1 km home from the bus station. Managed to reach home and got my medicine. Thought I'd died. Then slept right through the night.